Saturday, November 12, 2016

Southgate ‘loving every minute’ in charge of England

Gareth Southgate

Gareth Southgate has loved every moment of his time in charge of England as he waits to discover if he will be appointed as permanent boss.

England top World Cup qualifying Group F after Daniel Sturridge, Adam Lallana and Gary Cahill scored headers in a 3-0 win over Scotland which could mark the end of Gordon Strachan’s near four-year spell in charge.

Southgate took control after Sam Allardyce’s controversial one-match reign and has won two of his unbeaten three matches, __with a fourth coming in Tuesday’s friendly __with Spain, after which his future will be determined.

“That’s not my decision,” Southgate said.

“What I’m really pleased is that I was given the task of picking the job up in a very difficult situation for everybody and I feel like we’ve prepared the team really well. I’ve enjoyed that.

“The rest is out of my hands. I’ve loved it. I’ve really enjoyed the role. I’ve enjoyed the responsibility. I’ve enjoyed the challenge of every part of it.

“I get that that’s not quite so enjoyable if you don’t get the results. It’s been a brilliant experience.”

Scotland next play in March against Slovenia. Like Scotland’s prospects of qualification, Strachan’s hopes of clinging on to his job look slim, but he was adamant he was not thinking of himself.