Saturday, December 10, 2016

Mustafi calls Neville a ‘leader’ despite failure

Shkodran Mustafi Gary Neville

Arsenal defender Shkodran Mustafi claims that Gary Neville could be a good manager despite his disastrous spell at Valencia.

The Sky Sports pundit – criticised by Lorius Karius this week – was in charge for just 28 matches at the Spanish club and won only ten games.

“I respected him as a player – he was fantastic,” German defender Mustafi told the Daily Mail.

“As a coach I think he had the right ideas but at that time in Valencia it was difficult for every coach, not just Gary Neville.

“I tried to talk as much as possible __with him because he was a great defender.

“I wanted to learn from him but he was in a learning process, too.

“He wasn’t used to Spanish football. It was a situation where I was trying to learn from him and he was trying to learn from us.

“I don’t know if he will go back to coaching but if he wants he can because he has the character to be a leader.”