Thursday, December 1, 2016

Mourinho names two players it ‘hurts’ to leave out

Memphis Depay Ashley Young

Jose Mourinho admits that “it hurts” him to leave out Memphis Depay and Ashley Young at Manchester United.

United cruised to a 4-1 victory over West Ham in the EFL Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday, and you really ought to read 16 Conclusions before something bad happens.

Depay and Young did not even make the bench for the game, and both have been on the fringes of the first-team squad all season.

Dutch winger Depay has been handed just 134 minutes of competitive action and one start, while Young has made just three starts in all competitions.

Speaking after the win over West Ham, Mourinho revealed his pain at having to leave both players out.

“It hurts me, it hurts me,” he said. “It hurts me a lot to leave Depay and Ashley Young at home.

“It hurts me a lot like last week, when I had to leave out Martial, and next week I’ll leave another one.

“We have so many players for these positions and it’s good for me but it’s bad for them. Football players want to play matches and I cannot give to everyone at the same time, so it hurts me.”