Friday, January 13, 2017

Jose on injured United pair, Memphis and Liverpool

Jose Mourinho believes Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Marcos Rojo will be fit to face Liverpool on Sunday.

Manchester United welcome the second-placed Reds to Old Trafford at the weekend, hoping to extend their winning run to ten consecutive games.

Their opponents have failed to win any of their last three games, and United are the favourites heading into the match.

They are still sweating on the fitness of Ibrahimovic and Rojo however, who have missed the last few games through illness and a muscle injury respectively.

When asked whether the pair were likely to return, Mourinho replied: “I think so.

“I cannot confirm because there is two days left but they are closer to being ready than not ready.”

On the game, the Portuguese added: “So many big matches [for me], I wouldn’t say nervous. No not at all,” he said. “But that desire to play, that desire that the match be tomorrow and not Sunday. I have to wait two days for this game.

“It is three points, plus the emotional side of it. The emotional side of it, the fans and the players that are in the club for a long time. I think they understand the feeling better than I do.

“But I’m here for a few months and I understand step by step the dimension of the feeling, that good rivalry. I always feel that rivalry is a very good thing for football.”

Mourinho then discussed the future of Memphis Depay, a “number one target” for Lyon, who have had a bid rejected.

“The offer we had is far from being reasonable for us,” the manager said. “He is our player. If nothing happens he is one more for us,” the 53-year-old said