Friday, September 30, 2016

Antonio reveals ‘massive upset’ at rejecting Spurs

Michail Antonio West Ham

Michail Antonio has insisted that his mother’s decision to not allow him to join Tottenham as a teenager has made him a better player today.

Antonio had to reject the chance to become part of Spurs’ academy due to complications in travel from his home in south west London, plus concerns about him keeping up __with his schoolwork.

“When my mum didn’t let me join Tottenham, it kind of gave me a confidence that I had the ability to do it but then again, it kind of upset me massively,” the England international stated.

“I was in tears, because it was an opportunity to play for a professional team and I didn’t get to do it, but I’m here now so I can’t complain.”

Antonio has scored 14 goals and amassed five assists since joining the Hammers, and admits the decision has had a positive impact on his career.

“In hindsight it’s definitely made me better as a player. It’s made me more hungry, it’s made me want to go out, it’s made me eager and I’m never satisfied.

“I always want to push on, I always want to keep going because I feel like I’ve missed out on things in the past, so I’m going to keep going until I can’t go anymore.”